AHA HeartCode PALS
The AHA’s HeartCode PALS Course has been updated to reflect new science in the 2015 AHA Guidelines Update for CPR and ECC.
This eLearning course is the self-directed online portion of HeartCode PALS blended learning, which is followed by a hands-on session for skills practice and testing.
HeartCode PALS is a comprehensive program that uses a series of videos and simulated pediatric emergencies to reinforce the important concepts of a systematic approach to pediatric assessment, basic life support, PALS treatment algorithms, effective resuscitation, and team dynamics. Using eSimulation technology, students can assess and treat patients in virtual healthcare settings. In this environment, students also apply their knowledge to real-time decision-making and skills development. Debriefings and coaching are provided immediately after each simulation to facilitate learning.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to
- Perform high-quality Child CPR AED and Infant CPR per AHA BLS recommendations
- Differentiate between patients who do and do not require immediate intervention
- Recognize cardiopulmonary arrest early and begin CPR within 10 seconds
- Apply team dynamics
- Differentiate between respiratory distress and failure
- Perform early interventions for respiratory distress and failure
- Differentiate between compensated and decompensated (hypotensive) shock
- Perform early interventions for the treatment of shock
- Differentiate between unstable and stable patients with arrhythmias
- Describe clinical characteristics of instability in patients with arrhythmias
- Implement post–cardiac arrest management
Students who successfully complete the PALS Course online (including achieving a score of 84% or higher on the course exam) and the hands-on session will receive a PALS Provider course completion card (print or eCard), valid for two years.
Healthcare providers who respond to emergencies in infants and children, including personnel in emergency response, emergency medicine, intensive care, and critical care units, such as physicians, nurses, paramedics, respiratory therapists, pharmacists, and others who need a PALS course completion card for their job or other requirements.
This course has been tested on Windows XP+ and Mac OSX 10.10+, with Internet Explorer 8+, Chrome and Firefox. HeartCode programs are not supported by Apple Safari. You must have Flash version 16 or above installed in order to view the content successfully. Please refer to our Technical Requirements for accessing this course.
Students who successfully complete the online portion of the course receive a certificate granting them access to a PALS Hands-on Session with an AHA PALS Instructor. Hands-on Skills testing includes child 1-rescuer CPR, child bag mask device, infant 1- and 2-rescuer CPR, and relief of choking (optional). Students must successfully complete both the online portion and the hands-on session to receive a PALS Provider course completion card.